Is it possible to use / set a diffrent Audio backend for port-audio?

Is it possible to use / set a diffrent Audio backend for port-audio?

Daniel
Hello there,

is it possible to edit / change the audio backend in uos / port-audio?
I want to use jack instead of alsa on my linux mint machine and on my rasdpberry pi.

I've got everything running so far but when I start the jack server (with qjackctl)
my program is not appearing in the interface of qjackctl and is not playing
any kind of music until I stop jack...

Thanks for the help

Best greetings
Daniel

Re: Is it possible to use / set a diffrent Audio backend for port-audio?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello Daniel.

Yes, of course you may use something else than PortAudio.

Take a look here: http://uos.2369694.n4.nabble.com/New-future-member-in-uos-family-Pcaudio-td354.html

Sadly I did remove all pcaudio code from uos because of license incompatibility.

Now about adding jack in uos, it can be done but not asap, sorry, I am overbooked.

But strange your problems when you start jack.

Not sure to understand but if you run jack, other alsa based applications should still work.
Do you mean that jack is exclusive and if loaded only audio applications using jack can work?

Fre;D

Re: Is it possible to use / set a diffrent Audio backend for port-audio?

fredvs
Hello.

After some search it appears that to use Jack with PortAudio you need the library jack_portaudio.so

No all Linux distribution gives jack_portaudio.so by default, maybe you have to check if your distro give it.

You may also try to use Jack and PulseAudio (PortAudio can deal with PulseAudio).

To have it, just install qjackctl and pulseaudio-module-jack module:

sudo apt-get install qjackctl pulseaudio-module-jack

Then configure qjackctl to run the following command after startup. Copy it into "Setup..." > "Options" > "Execute script after Startup":

pactl set-default-sink jack_out

And that is.

Pulseaudio will recognize (through D-Bus) that JACK started, and automatically will route audio to it. When JACK is stopped Pulseaudio will revert to normal routing and start sending audio directly to card again.

So (almost) by default Pulseaudio implements the setup detailed above by mmv-ru.

Otherwise you should compile Jack and enable flag to enable jack_portaudio.so compilation.

See more details here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/572120/how-to-use-jack-and-pulseaudio-alsa-at-the-same-time-on-the-same-audio-device

Fre;D