Simple Recorder format settings?

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello.

What did you use to record, simplerecorder demo ?

Do you have good result when recording into wav?

Did you try changing the latency and set it to 0.3 or more ?

Fre;D

PS: You may add attachment with this uos forum, click on button "More" + "Upload a file".

Fre;D

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello.

In attachment your ogg loaded by Audacity.
You may see that only one channel was recorded, is it wanted?
Was it recorded by simplerecorder demo? ( the name of the file is different of the one created by simplerecorder)

Follows a ogg file recorded from mic on Windows 10 using simplerecorder on a Laptop Thinkpad.

rec_21_06_22_18_40_12.ogg

Here his rendering in Audacity:

Fre;D

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hello

Yes, recorded by simple recorder demo.  I had changed the format of the file name and I also changed the path for loading the dll files.  I also inserted a button click at form activation in order to load the dlls automatically.  Those are the changes I have made to simple recorder.

The recording is by direct cable connection to a radio which is mono only and I have the slider for right channel fully down.

Wav is as bad or maybe worse.

I will try changes to latency today.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
> The recording is by direct cable connection to a radio which is mono only and I have the slider for right channel fully down.

Listening to your ogg seems to be a problem of cable-connection.
Do you get good result with same cable with other recording application like Audacity?

If yes, could you see what sample-rate and resolution (16 or 32 bit, integer or float)?

Is the input device of your sound card mono or stereo (usually it is stereo)?
Are you connecting the mono output of the radio into one channel of the input of the sound card (or to both left+right) ?
What impedance is the output of your radio, is it low or did you connect to the loud-speaker?

Maybe decrease the volume of the output-radio.

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Re-hello.

Could you run the DeviceInfos demo that is in /uos/examples/deviceinfos.lpi

And give here a screenshot of the result?

It will be very useful to see what system you are using.

Thanks.

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hi,  I will do but first I have a meeting and some other stuff!

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hello

I took notice of your very good advice regarding cables and rearranged my recording setup.

I do not have a mic on hand so I chose to use my phone so as to avoid any problems with ground leaks  etc.   I burnished the jacks and connected my Samsung Galaxy J6+ directly to the MIC socket on the PC.

I recompiled Simple Recorder and recorded music from the phone.

The recording is I think quite good but I do notice some slight perturbations but this may be because the files in the phone had previously been recorded into MP3 from the original CD.

I tried to send a file but it was too big.

Thank you for all your help.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello John.

I am happy that you found a solution.

Maybe you may take a look at the result of recording with Audacity.
Audacity uses the same libraries as uos (portaudio, libsndfile and libmpg123).

If the result is better with Audacity then you should adjust the parameters of uos (latency, resolution, frame-count or chunk-size).
Normally you should have the same result as Audacity.

Note too that the jack-connector into mobiles is not always standard, it can be a mini-jack of 5 connectors (for phone and mic).
If it is the case in Samsung Galaxy and if you connected a "classical 3 connectors mini-jack", it will have conflict in the connections and can cause bad sound record.

Fre;D

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Thanks for that information regarding the 3 and 5 way mini jacks.

Unfortunately I cannot do any comparisons with Audacity right now as I am having problems configuring the sound system on this PC, I hope I can get that solved tomorrow.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hello

Unfortunately I think I have found two more issues with SimpleRecorder and ogg files..

Sometimes when I start recording and come back an hour or more later the file is empty.  This is with SimpleRecorder with no alterations.  I listen in the headphones when starting and that part sounds normal as there is no sound until pressing the Start button and the sound in still playing in the headphones when I come back to press the Stop button.  How long should it take to save and close the file after 'Stop'?

The second problem is that SimpleRecorder does not release the file.   I stop the recording and it is not possible to open the file with Audacity until I actually stop the SimpleRecorder and neither can I delete the file or copy or move it.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello.

> Sometimes when I start recording and come back an hour or more later the file is empty.

Sorry but here with simplerecorder.exe  32 bit on a Windows 10 machine I could not reproduce, all went ok.
Did you enable "save to file" check-box?

Did you try with Audacity ?

> The second problem is that SimpleRecorder does not release the file.

The same, sorry I cannot reproduce. After click on "Stop" the file can be read by Audacity without stopping simplerecorder.

Maybe you may try with save to wav and a lower sample-rate and forget ogg.

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Administrator
Hello.

Maybe try this:

In simplerecorder demo, file main_sr.pas, in procedure Button2Click:

procedure TForm1.Button2Click(Sender: TObject):

    uos_CreatePlayer(PlayerIndex1);

    application.processmessages; // Add this

    application.processmessages; // Add this

    uos_Play(PlayerIndex1);

And in procedure Button3Click:

  uos_Stop(PlayerIndex1);

  application.processmessages; // Add this

But here it is ok.

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hi Fre;d

I have not had time to make those changes but I noticed this when starting an ogg recording.

UOS_Screen_Shot.jpg

You can see 'Save to file' has been grayed out and Edit1 is focused.  This happens immediately after clicking 'Start'.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Hi
I made the changes you suggested and it does now seem to be much better, perhaps perfect, with respect to not releasing the files.

John

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

fredvs
Hello.

>You can see 'Save to file' has been grayed out and Edit1 is focused.  This happens immediately after clicking 'Start'.

Yes it is what must happen. This to not change ''Save to file'' checkbox once the recording has begin.

> I made the changes you suggested and it does now seem to be much better, perhaps perfect, with respect to not releasing the files.

Ha, nice, I am happy for you.

Fre;D

Re: Simple Recorder format settings?

MrJohn
Thanks for your help Fre;d,

Now I can begin writing the version to suit our purposes!

John
12